02 December 2008

Some Amazing Technology

We do live in amazing times. I was checking out some sites for tracking ships at sea and came across a few that might be of interst to those of you who have expressed an interest in following my trip.

Probably the one with the easiest interface is www.marinetraffic.com

For those of you who think this stuff is just really, really cool, you can zoom in to different ports and even track specific ships. You can register for free and then you can receive alerts on the movements of specific ships.

I'll be traveling on the Rickmers Jakarta (MMSI: 538001921); there are some other sites as well, so you can use that information to see which works best. I'm still playing around with some of the other sites and I'll report back if I find anything better.

As you'll notice, coverage around a lot of the Asian ports is a bit thin. Therefore you won't get any updates for the beginning and end of my trip. However, coverage around the major ports in the US and Europe is fairly good, so I'm hoping you'll be able to get more up to date information on my port calls.

Enjoy!

No comments: