18 December 2008

Pirate Updates and Schedule Changes

This morning I received another form to sign from my booking agent, Hamish, in which I was to acknowledge that my trip would take me through some pirate-infested waters and the company would not be liable for any ill befalling me.

I suppose there is some element of risk to this whole venture, but I figure that statistics are on my side. Despite the increase in incidents around Somalia, it still only represents a small percentage of the ships that actually transit those waterways. Obviously I'm happy that more nations are taking a more serious approach to the problem, so all in all I figure that my risk is fairly modest since I won't be in those waters for a few months.

In other news, it looks like I'll be departing Singapore a little sooner than I expected. As I mentioned, the original schedule, at least as far as Singapore was concerned, had been pushed back a few days. The update I received from the company was that I would be departing on the 22nd.

This afternoon I confirmed with the local agent that the ship is berthing tomorrow morning, Friday here in Singapore, but instead of leaving on the 22nd as I had been told it is now scheduled to depart around 18:00 on Saturday.

This is good news since it looks like we'll be getting back to the original timeline I posted earlier. On the other hand it means I need to get everything done by tomorrow afternoon.

My plan is to go to the Jurong Port sometime around 15:00. I hope to get settled on board and then have the first half of Saturday to take care of any last minute issues.

According to the agent, departure formalities such as immigration and customs clearance need to be completed about two hours before the scheduled sailing.

Hard to believe I'm only about 48 hours from the start of the trip.

No comments: