14 December 2008

Basic Freighter Travel Information

A few people have requested information on freighter travel in general and how I arranged my trip in particular.

Once I decided that I wanted to do this type of a trip I began searching on the internet for information. The first place I checked was The Internet Guide to Freighter Travel.

This was a good starting source for background information and links to other helpful sites. I then made a general query through FreighterTrips.com and received a response from Mr Hamish Jamieson of the Hawke's Bay Travel Centre & Freighter Travel (NZ)

Hamish was a great source of information and he patiently answered all of my questions.

As some of you may already know, most modern container ships spend very little time in port. Here in Singapore the turnaround time for even the largest container ships is measured in hours rather than days. Some passengers prefer these types of ships as they spend more time on the sea; I on the other hand was interested in the "heavy lift" ships that dealt more with project cargo and therefore usually spent a couple of days in each port.

Hamish's recommendation was the "Pearl String Voyages" offered by the MCC Rickmers line.

With all that information in hand it was just a matter of planning and scheduling, making the payments and getting the documents in order.

I hope the above is helpful. Please let me know if you have any specific questions.

No comments: