06 November 2008

A Few Answers

Wow! Great to hear from so many old friends. Thank you all for your response to my email. I'm looking forward to hearing from you during my trip and I promise to make regular postings.

One reason I set up this blog was to minimize a lot of duplicate email answers to common questions. Here are a few:


Working on the freighter: this is explicitly prohibited. I will be a passenger with my own cabin and my main concern will be meal times. I'll post some information on the ship in the near future.


Pirates: Thanks, yes, I'll watch out for them.


Reasons for doing this: There are several, but I suppose the most compelling was an opportunity to take a break from work and do something a little different and exciting. I've also had an interest in ocean navigation since reading the Patrick O'Brian stories; not quite wooden ships and a star to steer by, but still fascinating.


I also like the idea of experiencing travel as more of a journey. Not to sound too jaded, but international airports start to look alike after a while. There is a schedule, but the accuracy is measured more in days and weeks instead of hours and minutes.


Questions from schoolkids: Sure, I'd be happy to answer them, and feel free to use the blog and any updates in your classrooms.

Thanks again for your emails and support. I hope I can be a worthy correspondent.

No comments: